Easily Identify Deer
Resource for deer information, identification, and links to deer product websites.
There are many species of deer. In North America, the two most common are the Whitetail Deer and the Mule Deer.
Scientific Name: Odocoileus Virginianus
- Sometimes referred to as Virginia Deer
- White fur under tail, clearly visible when the deer flags, or lifts it's tail when on alert
- Antlers branch with tines coming up from a single main beam
- Move with a running mothion
- Usually a bit smaller than a mule deer
Scientific Name: Odocoileus Hemionus
- Large, mule like ears
- Black tip on tail
- Habitat primarily in western North America
- Antlers fork into two main beams and continue forking from there rather than branching from a single beam
- Move with a bounding leap rather than running
- Usually a larger, stackier deer